From: Sergey Popov <pinkbyte@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: stabilization policies
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 08:09:06
1 21.08.2013 00:06, Tom Wijsman пишет:
2 > On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 15:41:42 -0400
3 > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >>> Let me dig up an example...
6 >>>
7 >>> Our last sys-kernel/gentoo-sources stabilization was 3 months ago:
8 >>
9 >> I don't really see a problem with stable package being all of 3 months
10 >> old. Contrast that with youtube-dl which pull from ~arch and rebuild
11 >> about 3x/week.
12 >
13 > For something that releases once to twice a week, it is a problem;
14 > we're not talking about a package that gets some slow commits here, no,
15 > let's run `git log --oneline v3.8.13..v3.10.7 | wc -l`: 28233
16
17 And you are dead sure that shiny new versions does not need testing in
18 Gentoo for a reasonable amount of time(30 days)? If yes, then we have a
19 problem in definitions here(thus, i am not talking about security
20 stabilizations, they should be done as quickly, as bug reveals)
21
22 > That's a lot of commits; now you need to realize that every single
23 > commit in this means something, a lot of them are bug fixes (stability,
24 > security, reliability, anti corruption, ...) whereas of course a part of
25 > it also introduces parts of new features and refactoring.
26 >
27 > Desktop users might not care for all of these, but sysadmins will;
28 > actually, that's what this thread is about, they are switching to ~
29 > because of things like this. Who are we stabilizing for then?!
30
31 You should undestand that stabilizing new kernel should also imply that
32 some important modules, presenting in tree will also work with them. I
33 really do not like slow upstreams and situations like with
34 nvidia-drivers, but i understand that this is not kernel team matter, it
35 is upstream problem.
36
37 And that fact, that you can successfully build and run kernel for a
38 couple of hours, does not make it "good, well tested stable candidate"
41 > Bitrot due to a lack of resources.
44 Such problem is exists, yeah, i agree. But do not overcomplicate things.
45 We should fight with lack of resources, not with turning stable into
46 "just more old, but also breakable testing"
49 Best regards, Sergey Popov
50 Gentoo developer
51 Gentoo Desktop Effects project lead
52 Gentoo Qt project lead
53 Gentoo Proxy maintainers project lead