From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Blockers and package moves
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 16:11:45
1 On 13:49 Sun 16 Jan , Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > People seem to have started using blockers with package moves recently.
3 > For example, if cat/a is being moved to cat/b, people have started
4 > putting !cat/a as a dependency in cat/b. This is bad, for two reasons.
5 >
6 > First, you shouldn't have to do that. If package moves aren't working,
7 > we've got bigger problems, and throwing in some blockers won't help
8 > there.
9 >
10 > Second, when performing updates, Paludis also rewrites dependencies of
11 > installed packages to use the names. This means that your block on
12 > cat/a will be rewritten to a block on cat/b, which means the package
13 > ends up blocking itself.
14 >
15 > We've got two options here.
16 >
17 > Option the first is that people stop writing stupid blockers on package
18 > moves. Unless someone can come up with a convincing reason to keep them
19 > there, this is the option that should be taken, and repoman should
20 > enforce it.
21 >
22 > Option the second is that I make Paludis stop rewriting blockers for
23 > package moves. This is bad, because it means legitimate blockers which
24 > should be honoured will end up disappearing.
25 >
26 > Does anyone care to justify their "block the old name" habits?
27
28 How about playing nicely with overlays where the moves didn't happen
29 (yet)?
32 Thanks,
33 Donnie
34