From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] network sandbox challenge
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2020 05:59:38
1 On Fri, 2020-03-27 at 01:16 +0000, Samuel Bernardo wrote:
2 > Dear all,
3 >
4 > Fulfilling the linting of ebuild code style design for software projects
5 > that loads their dependencies during build, such as go based projects or
6 > npm as an example, could be very nasty.
7 >
8 > Looking into source code of snapd or opennebula as two examples, I need
9 > to break network sandbox to get all dependencies for snapd go modules or
10 > opennebula sunstone npm code.
13 Stop here. If you think that you need to 'break network sandbox', you
14 already have the wrong attitude and shouldn't continue. Network sandbox
15 is not your enemy. Using network is.
16
17 Network sandbox protects users from paying extra because you've written
18 a bad ebuild that unexpectedly downloads lot of data on their mobile
19 connection. Network sandbox makes sure that we don't end up delivering
20 stuff that doesn't work to people who are on isolated networks or simply
21 have non-permanent connections. Network sandbox makes sure that these
22 ebuilds will work three months from now when upstream randomly decides
23 to remove old files or shuffle servers, or just get hits by a temporary
24 issue.
25
26 There's no 'breaking the network sandbox'. You must fix the ebuild not
27 to require Internet.
30 Best regards,
31 Michał Górny