From: Samuel Bernardo <samuelbernardo.mail@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] network sandbox challenge
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2020 11:29:09
1 Hi Michał,
2
3 On 3/27/20 5:59 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
4 > Stop here. If you think that you need to 'break network sandbox', you
5 > already have the wrong attitude and shouldn't continue. Network sandbox
6 > is not your enemy. Using network is.
7 >
8 > Network sandbox protects users from paying extra because you've written
9 > a bad ebuild that unexpectedly downloads lot of data on their mobile
10 > connection. Network sandbox makes sure that we don't end up delivering
11 > stuff that doesn't work to people who are on isolated networks or simply
12 > have non-permanent connections. Network sandbox makes sure that these
13 > ebuilds will work three months from now when upstream randomly decides
14 > to remove old files or shuffle servers, or just get hits by a temporary
15 > issue.
16 >
17 > There's no 'breaking the network sandbox'. You must fix the ebuild not
18 > to require Internet.
19
20 That is an awesome concept for producing ebuilds, since I could be using
21 dist-cc and compiling multiple profiles using dedicated computing
22 cluster leveraging available resources within a sandbox with very
23 restricted access. This is a very nice pattern on resource management.
24 This is another reason why I like Gentoo very much, with the SQA
25 assurance of the high quality rules, and persuade me to invest my time
26 using this wonderful distro.
27
28 I understand that network sandbox only restricts the build environment,
29 but wouldn't the urls in SRC_URI be a problem when referencing sites
30 that are not reliable? Shouldn't be relevant to define those sites that
31 give better assurance for syncing the required binaries?
32 Same question for unpack context when using directly the source
33 repository with vcs functions.
34
35 Best,
36 Samuel