From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Deprecating repoman
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 17:30:25
1 On Wed, Mar 9, 2022 at 11:09 PM Joonas Niilola <juippis@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 9.3.2022 23.00, Matt Turner wrote:
4 > > I'd like to deprecate and ultimately remove repoman. I believe that
5 > > dev-util/pkgcheck and pkgcommit (from app-portage/mgorny-dev-scripts)
6 > > are far superior replacements, and it makes sense to have people using
7 > > the same tool and seeing the same warnings as in the CI.
8 > >
9 > > Are there any useful checks or behaviors of repoman that are missing
10 > > from pkgcheck and pkgcommit?
11 > >
12 > > Thanks,
13 > > Matt
16 > I still fail to see the "why" in here. Repoman is better than pure 'git
17 > commit' that I know some people still like to use, and as long as it's
18 > kept maintained.
19
20 repoman is inferior to other tooling mentioned. The other tooling is
21 actually run in CI. Developers should get the same warnings locally as
22 in CI. Restated another way: I'm tired of telling people to stop using
23 repoman or "pkgcheck would have caught that".
24
25 > My only worry is: are pkgcheck and pkgdev _really_ maintained anymore?
26 > More than repoman is?
27
28 More than repoman is, definitely.