From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Deprecating repoman
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 17:14:59
1 Matt Turner wrote:
2 > repoman is inferior to other tooling mentioned. The other tooling is
3 > actually run in CI.
4
5 The problem seems to be that CI is running something other than
6 developers run, not the other way around.
9 > Developers should get the same warnings locally as in CI.
10
11 I agree. And developers and their tools should not have to bend to
12 whatever CI does, I think the other way around makes more sense.
15 CI doesn't use repoman because of performance issues.
16
17 What if pkgcore evolves to provide a portage-compatible API?
18
19 Then CI could use repoman without performance problems, and
20 developers would also enjoy improved performance, without spending
21 time on replacing tooling which already works for them.
22
23 Looking into the future then maybe portage could even come to use
24 pkgcore for the low-level things that pkgcore does, then even users
25 could enjoy improved performance.
28 Right?
29
30 //Peter