From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Deprecating repoman
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 18:25:39
1 On Fri, Mar 11, 2022 at 9:14 AM Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se> wrote:
2 >
3 > Matt Turner wrote:
4 > > repoman is inferior to other tooling mentioned. The other tooling is
5 > > actually run in CI.
6 >
7 > The problem seems to be that CI is running something other than
8 > developers run, not the other way around.
11 > > Developers should get the same warnings locally as in CI.
12 >
13 > I agree. And developers and their tools should not have to bend to
14 > whatever CI does, I think the other way around makes more sense.
17 > CI doesn't use repoman because of performance issues.
18
19 I think the problem is that making committers use the CI tool is
20 technically a fairly straightforward change; while everything you
21 discuss further in the thread is not; because it implies people will
22 work on improving tools that have shown little or no progress on
23 improving in the 15 years I've been in Gentoo.
26 > What if pkgcore evolves to provide a portage-compatible API?
27
28 No API is planned and no one is working on it.
31 > Then CI could use repoman without performance problems, and
32 > developers would also enjoy improved performance, without spending
33 > time on replacing tooling which already works for them.
34
35 The benefit of getting people to change their behavior is that the
36 benefits (less breakage, better tooling) are achieved now; as opposed
37 to in some hypothetical future where repoman is improved.
38 Note that we have been waiting for 'improved repoman' for about 8
39 years; so..I'm not willing to bet on it when we have better tooling
40 that works today and the primary complaint is that...what exactly?
41
42 The new workflow with pkgcheck was announced at the end of 2019:
43 https://blogs.gentoo.org/mgorny/2019/12/12/a-better-ebuild-workflow-with-pure-git-and-pkgcheck
44
45 It's been 2 years, I think we can bring everyone into the fold here.
48 > Looking into the future then maybe portage could even come to use
49 > pkgcore for the low-level things that pkgcore does, then even users
50 > could enjoy improved performance.
51
52 Many things could happen but again, if you talk to people who work on
53 pkgcore; there is no concrete plan for this. So I don't see why we are
54 betting on it happening.
55
56 If you read radhermit's blog:
57 https://pkgcraft.github.io/posts/timesink-chronicles/ you can get one
58 take on the project and why it struggled.
59
60 -A
64 > Right?
65 >