From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: emacs@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] g-elisp repository helper
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 15:18:26
1 >>>>> On Wed, 20 Feb 2013, Jauhien Piatlicki wrote:
2
3 > I do not know whether this list is an appropriate place, so sorry if it
4 > is not )
5
6 Hi,
7 No problem with posting it to the gentoo-dev list. I'm answering in
8 semi-private (Gentoo Emacs team in CC) because the topic is Emacs
9 specific.
10
11 > Recently I've wrote some little scripts that implement interface for
12 > g-common type repositories of layman[1]. And I would ask those who is
13 > interested to test them.
14
15 > I've created two packages: g-common (interacts with layman) and g-elisp
16 > (generates ebuilds). g-elisp is aimed to automatically create layman
17 > overlays for repositories of elisp packages supported by package.el, so
18 > those packages could be installed by portage.
19
20 > To test it you can add an overlay described by this xml-file:
21 > https://github.com/jauhien/jauhien-overlay/blob/master/jauhien-overlay.xml
22 > and then `emerge g-elisp`
23
24 > After emerging it you will be able to add two layman repositories of
25 > type g-common: gnu-elpa and marmalade.
26
27 It looks promising. I only wonder why you need to define your own
28 fetch function instead of assigning SRC_URI? This will cause the
29 ebuilds to be live ebuilds and there will be no possibility for the
30 user to verify the integrity of the downloaded package. Or have I
31 missed something?
32
33 > g-common and g-elisp are still in the very beta, also I'm a very
34 > beginner in python, so I will appreciate any feedback and criticism.
35
36 I fear that I won't be able to help you with the Python.
37
38 Cheers,
39 Ulrich