From: Marc Schiffbauer <mschiff@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Warn users not to do separate /usr partition without proper initramfs in the handbook?
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2011 11:13:33
1 * Samuli Suominen schrieb am 01.08.11 um 09:23 Uhr:
2 > On 07/31/2011 05:23 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 16:55:23 +0300
4 > > Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o> wrote:
5 > >
6 > >> I dislike the IUSE="+static" some packages are currently doing to
7 > >> workaround this, instead of moving the needed shared libs to /
8 > >>
9 > >> I dislike the idea of pciutils and usbutils database(s) in
10 > >> non-standard location in / to keep udev working
11 > >>
12 > >> I dislike the idea of moving libglib-2.0, libdbus-1, libdbus-glib-1,
13 > >> and couple of dozen more libs to /
14 > >>
15 > >> I dislike the idea of maintaining and keeping track of the files in /
16 > >> using files from /usr. Does any of the PMs have check for this, like
17 > >> NEEDED entries? I can imagine this getting past the maintainers easily
18 > >> otherwise
19 > >>
20 > >> Most likely still not seeing the full picture here, and just
21 > >> scratching the surface...
22 > >> Despite that, I don't have any strong opinion on any of this, just
23 > >> need to know if I should start moving the files over
24 > >
25 > > Honestly, I'd rather see system libs and apps being moved to /usr
26 > > rather than the opposite. IMO the benefit of getting a clear tree is
27 > > greater than benefits of having separate fs for 'system' and
28 > > 'non-system' packages which actually tend to randomly depend one on
29 > > another.
30 >
31 > that's my impression now too since nobody has managed to provide useful
32 > case for separate /usr, or they have been very vague like adding 1+1 on
33 > / and /usr filesystem sizes and counting the risk of corrupted
34 > filesystem from that (one word: backup)
35 > and even then they can go with dracut and have the initramfs mount the
36 > /usr before init
37 > dracut with it's externsive modules covers the other mentioned cases too
40 I always keep /usr seperate from / for isolation reasons.
41
42 IMO there are some good reasons to do so:
43
44 * For example if a filesystem fills 100%. Imagine your /usr is 100%
45 full by accident.
46
47 If you have a seperate / you always can still write to /etc or /root
48 which might save your life.
49
50 Sometimes a system might not even be bootable if / has no space
51 left.
52
53 Sure, this is not the case normally and never should be. But if it
54 happens to you, you will be happy to have them seperated.
55
56 * IMO its a good idea to seperate mostly static filesystems from
57 those with many writes
58
59 * Some people want a read-only /usr
60
61 * /usr/portage can get very huge and is often written to. With
62 / and /usr being on the same FS you really want to have
63 /usr/portage on a seperate FS then
64
65 I am sure there are some other reasons too.
66
67 Just my 2¢
68
69 -Marc
70 --
71 8AAC 5F46 83B4 DB70 8317 3723 296C 6CCA 35A6 4134