From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Warn users not to do separate /usr partition without proper initramfs in the handbook?
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2011 07:26:28
1 On 07/31/2011 05:23 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 16:55:23 +0300
3 > Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> I dislike the IUSE="+static" some packages are currently doing to
6 >> workaround this, instead of moving the needed shared libs to /
7 >>
8 >> I dislike the idea of pciutils and usbutils database(s) in
9 >> non-standard location in / to keep udev working
10 >>
11 >> I dislike the idea of moving libglib-2.0, libdbus-1, libdbus-glib-1,
12 >> and couple of dozen more libs to /
13 >>
14 >> I dislike the idea of maintaining and keeping track of the files in /
15 >> using files from /usr. Does any of the PMs have check for this, like
16 >> NEEDED entries? I can imagine this getting past the maintainers easily
17 >> otherwise
18 >>
19 >> Most likely still not seeing the full picture here, and just
20 >> scratching the surface...
21 >> Despite that, I don't have any strong opinion on any of this, just
22 >> need to know if I should start moving the files over
23 >
24 > Honestly, I'd rather see system libs and apps being moved to /usr
25 > rather than the opposite. IMO the benefit of getting a clear tree is
26 > greater than benefits of having separate fs for 'system' and
27 > 'non-system' packages which actually tend to randomly depend one on
28 > another.
29
30 that's my impression now too since nobody has managed to provide useful
31 case for separate /usr, or they have been very vague like adding 1+1 on
32 / and /usr filesystem sizes and counting the risk of corrupted
33 filesystem from that (one word: backup)
34 and even then they can go with dracut and have the initramfs mount the
35 /usr before init
36 dracut with it's externsive modules covers the other mentioned cases too
37
38 so pursuing for getting rid of shared/static -workarounds and / files
39 depending on /usr files constistency
40
41 not to mention avoiding moving a lot of files to / for pursuing that
42 otherwise
43
44 this is starting to look good:
45
46 http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/UsrMove#Move_all_to_.2Fusr
50 > What's the point of having shared /usr if you need to keep /bin, /lib,
51 > /sbin in sync anyway? And considering the above, the number of files to
52 > keep separate & synced is growing, and thus our potential / gets bigger
53 > and bigger.