From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: ssuominen@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Warn users not to do separate /usr partition without proper initramfs in the handbook?
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 14:23:33
1 On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 16:55:23 +0300
2 Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I dislike the IUSE="+static" some packages are currently doing to
5 > workaround this, instead of moving the needed shared libs to /
6 >
7 > I dislike the idea of pciutils and usbutils database(s) in
8 > non-standard location in / to keep udev working
9 >
10 > I dislike the idea of moving libglib-2.0, libdbus-1, libdbus-glib-1,
11 > and couple of dozen more libs to /
12 >
13 > I dislike the idea of maintaining and keeping track of the files in /
14 > using files from /usr. Does any of the PMs have check for this, like
15 > NEEDED entries? I can imagine this getting past the maintainers easily
16 > otherwise
17 >
18 > Most likely still not seeing the full picture here, and just
19 > scratching the surface...
20 > Despite that, I don't have any strong opinion on any of this, just
21 > need to know if I should start moving the files over
22
23 Honestly, I'd rather see system libs and apps being moved to /usr
24 rather than the opposite. IMO the benefit of getting a clear tree is
25 greater than benefits of having separate fs for 'system' and
26 'non-system' packages which actually tend to randomly depend one on
27 another.
28
29 What's the point of having shared /usr if you need to keep /bin, /lib,
30 /sbin in sync anyway? And considering the above, the number of files to
31 keep separate & synced is growing, and thus our potential / gets bigger
32 and bigger.
35 Best regards,
36 Michał Górny