From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [PR] ivy, mvn, sbt, gradle builders improvement for ebuild development
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 20:09:10
1 On 4/19/20 3:41 PM, Samuel Bernardo wrote:
2 >>
3 >> EGO_SUM is not a legitimate approach to packaging. You have to create
4 >> packages for each package. I know, it sounds crazy when you say it.
5 >>
6 > I understand what you mean, but deem this dependencies as internal
7 > project dependencies where those libraries doesn't worth the effort to
8 > package them all. I mean, most of these projects have an immutable
9 > deployment approach that are not feasable to be packaged. The problem
10 > starts from upstream...
11
12 You can do whatever you want in an overlay, but you can't introduce
13 security vulnerabilities and license issues into thousands of peoples'
14 homes and businesses through ::gentoo because it makes your life a tiny
15 bit easier.
16
17 The job description of distribution developer is, ultimately, to fix all
18 the dumb things that upstream does before packaging the result so that
19 your users get a consistent, usable, reliable, and secure product. But
20 the first step isn't optional. Re-packaging garbage is easy -- that's a
21 service nobody needs.
22
23 Using ebuilds this way is also simply a waste of your time. If you're
24 not going to package the dependencies, then you're better off using the
25 upstream bundling tool. At least then you can update the hundreds of
26 bundled dependencies afterwards. With an ebuild that's not possible.
27
28 I don't mean to discourage you any more than necessary. I'm glad you
29 want to help. But please quit looking to Go as an example of anything
30 anyone should be doing.