From: Richard Freeman <rich@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] guidline to set a timeline of removal of ebuild from stable tree
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 10:41:07
1 Fernando J. Pereda wrote:
2 > Some of the packages I maintain are better removed when a new
3 > maintenance version is released. And I plan to keep it that way :)
6 Can you clarify this? What scenarios do you run into where it isn't
7 good for stable users to have access to more than one version of the
8 software?
9
10 One thing that I noticed is that in many cases there are multiple
11 testing versions of a package available, and one stable version. So, if
12 you run unstable you can pick and choose, but if you're running stable
13 (which in theory should be the target audience gentoo aims for) then you
14 get your choice of only one.
15
16 I tend to think that unless something unusual is going on that old
17 packages should be kept around for a while (a few weeks at least). The
18 same should apply to packages in testing as well. Actually, that could
19 be a whole separate topic. There have been many times that I've had to
20 upgrade to a package in testing to get some needed feature, but then it
21 gets deleted in favor of some other package in testing - and the stable
22 package sits at its current version for ages. Unless a package in
23 testing has a reasonably serious problem of some kind it would seem to
24 make more sense to me to have ebuilds not removed until they've been
25 stabilized and then obsoleted. An exception would be revision bumps -
26 no sense stabilizing an ebuild revision that has a simple bugfix
27 available without an upstream version change.
28
29 Others have pointed out that inflexible rules aren't always the answer.
30 I'd agree in general, but there should be guidelines. Maybe certain
31 packages shouldn't have multiple stable versions to choose from. But
32 when "certain packages" becomes 80% of them then I'd wonder if there
33 really is a good reason for this...

smime.p7s application/x-pkcs7-signature