From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal: sys-pam category
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2005 19:04:17
1 On Sun, 2005-06-05 at 19:34 +0200, Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
2 > On Sunday 05 June 2005 17:37, Ned Ludd wrote:
3 > > I think they are fine where they are. Moving stuff around is a waste of
4 > > time. Makes things more complex. Makes more work on everybody.
5 > Sorry but I don't agree with that, at least for the particular case of pam.
6 > The way it's now, makes my work hardware than it could be having them in
7 > order. If I want to look for pam modules which needs to be fixed, I need to
8 > go through a list with eix looking for them. Also two similar modules like
9 > pam_ssh and pam_ssh_agent are respectively in app-crypt and sys-libs.
10 > And sorry, I don't think that everytime I need to find out what I need to
11 > change or test I need to do some strange query like "eix -r [^s]\?pam -o
12 > ^pam".
13
14 14 files matching the pam prefix and 18 thing matching description.
15
16 app-admin/pam_dotfile (Mail related)
17 pam module to allow password-storing in $HOME/dotfiles
18
19 app-crypt/pam_krb5 (Should of been put in sys-libs)
20 Pam module for MIT Kerberos V
21
22 app-vim/pam-syntax (Seems logical)
23 vim plugin: PAM configuration syntax highlighting
24
25 dev-perl/Authen-PAM (Seems logical)
26 Interface to PAM library
27
28 kde-base/kcheckpass (Seems logical)
29 KDE pam client that allows you to auth as a specified user without
30 actually doing anything as that user.
31
32 kde-base/kdebase-pam (Seems logical)
33 pam.d files used by several KDE components.
34
35 kde-base/secpolicy (Not sure)
36 KDE: Display PAM security policies
37
38 net-libs/pam_ldap (Should of been sys-libs)
39 PAM LDAP Module
40
41 net-mail/checkpassword-pam (Seems logical)
42 checkpassword-compatible authentication program w/pam support
43
44 net-mail/poppassd_ceti (Seems logical)
45 Password change daemon with PAM support
46
47 net-misc/pam_smb (Should of been sys-libs)
48 The PAM SMB module, which allows authentication against an NT server.
49
50 net-www/mod_auth_pam (Seems logical)
51 PAM authentication module for Apache
52
53 sys-apps/pam-login (Seems logical not a lib but a program)
54 Based on the sources from util-linux, with added pam and shadow
55 features
56
57 sys-libs/pam_mysql (Seems logical)
58 pam_mysql is a module for pam to authenticate users with mysql
59
60 sys-libs/pam_passwdqc (Seems logical)
61 Password strength checking for PAM aware password changing programs
62
63 sys-libs/pam_pwdfile (Seems logical)
64 PAM module for authenticating against passwd-like files.
65
66 sys-libs/pam_ssh_agent (Seems logical)
67 PAM module that spawns a ssh-agent and adds identities using the
68 password supplied at login
69
70 sys-libs/pam_usb (Seems logical)
71 A PAM module that enables authentication using an USB-Storage device
72 (such as an USB Pen) through DSA private/public keys.
73
75 If you really feel you must invalidate everybody else binary trees
76 and adding a workload on others for your gain then go for it.
77 But adding another category for what are clearly mostly system
78 libraries does not make sense me in this case.
79 So sorry I object to new category creation for PAM.
82 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
83 --
84 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
87 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list