From: Mikael Hallendal <hallski@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] system-logger
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 06:18:24
1 sön 2001-12-02 klockan 18.31 skrev Jerry A!:
2 > On Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 01:55:10PM +0100, Sebastian Werner wrote:
3 > : Hey,
4 > :
5 > : you write in the documentation that i can choose my system-logger:
6 > : sylogd, syslog-ng or metalob. Which is the best, the fastest, the
7 > : easiest. What ever. Have anybody test them and could give me an intro.
8 >
9 > They are both excellent loggers. The syntax for metalog is somewhat
10 > simplier. I recommend perusing the homepages for both programs and see
11 > which one fits your needs.
12
13 IMHO we should have a "default" one or at least one that we recommend.
14 Most people doesn't really care as long as it just works, and by making
15 people make the descission while installing only confuses lots of
16 people.
17
18 So, we should do either of two schemes:
19
20 1) Install a default one and make a note in the documents that you can
21 change it.
22
23 2) Don't install one but say 'then merge a system logger, preferable
24 XXX'.
25
26 Regards,
27 Mikael Hallendal
31 Mikael Hallendal
32 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team Leader
33 CodeFactory AB, Stockholm, Sweden