From: "Tomáš Chvátal" <scarabeus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] KDE3 deprecation news item. [ the GLEP 42 based variant ]
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 15:13:45
1 Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > >>>>> On Fri, 30 Oct 2009, Tomáš Chvátal wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Title: KDE3 will be masked and removed from portage
5 > > Author: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
6 >
7 > Maybe add your self as author? Multiple "Author" fields are allowed.
8 > (And yes, UTF-8 in header fields is allowed, too. ;-)
9 >
10 Multiplied
11 > > Content-Type: text/plain
12 > > Posted: 2009-10-29
13 > > Revision: 1
14 > > News-Item-Format: 1.0
15 > > Display-If-Installed: <kde-base/kdelibs-4
16 > >
17 > > Please turn your KDE radio on, and make sure to turn the volume to its
18 > > maximum level for this important message.
19 >
20 > Please wrap lines at 72 characters, which is the standard for news
21 > items.
22 Wrapped
23 >
24 > > After multiple setbacks we have finally managed to stabilise KDE4 on both
25 > > major desktop architectures (amd64 and x86), where other teams are to
26 > > follow.
27 > >
28 > > This means that those of you who still use KDE3 should start considering
29 > > an upgrade right away, due to various reasons. [1]
30 > >
31 > > The KDE3 support is being dropped with immediate effect. This means that
32 > > ebuilds are dropping KDE3 support where they were broken, or clashing
33 > > with KDE4.
34 > >
35 > > If you wish to still use KDE3, and you want to help others with having
36 > > KDE3 around, drop a mail to kde@g.o, where we can give you commit
37 > > access to the special overlay which will specifically contain only KDE3
38 > > packages. [2]
39 >
40 > I think this paragraph shouldn't be included in a news item that
41 > concerns primarily the main Portage tree. IMHO at least the part about
42 > commit access should be left out.
43 Rephrased.
44 >
45 > > Sadly upstream is not supporting KDE3 anymore and we simply lack the
46 > > manpower to keep support for both (as you might have noticed in the past
47 > > few months KDE3 has become more and more rusty for which we humbly
48 > > apologize).
49 > >
50 > > Sorry to bring you the bad news and with hope that KDE4 will suit your
51 > > needs,
52 > >
53 > > Tomas Chvatal
54 > > KDE Teams substituting Lead
55 >
56 > Omit the signature. I think it's not formally forbidden, but neither
57 > the example in GLEP 42 nor any of the news items so far had one.
58 >
59 Dropped
60 > Ulrich
61 > ,