From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Future of gentoo's stable and unstable trees: what are your thoughts?
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2017 04:18:35
1 On 07/28/2017 12:44 PM, Alec Warner wrote:
4 > On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 3:44 AM, Andreas K. Huettel
5 > <dilfridge@g.o <mailto:dilfridge@g.o>> wrote:
6 >
7 > Am Dienstag, 25. Juli 2017, 01:22:44 CEST schrieb Peter Stuge:
8 > >
9 > > I hold a perhaps radical view: I would like to simply remove stable.
10 > >
11 > > I continue to feel that maintaining two worlds (stable+unstable)
12 > > carries with it an unneccessary cost.
15 > That's not feasible. It would kill off any semi-professional or
16 > professional
17 > Gentoo use, where a minimum of stability is required.
20 > So my argument (for years) has been that this is the right thing all along.
21 >
22 > If people want a stable Gentoo, fork it and maintain it downstream of
23 > the rambunctious rolling distro.
27 > (Try keeping ~10 machines on stable running without automation.
28 > That's already
29 > quite some work. Now try the same with ~arch. Now imagine you're
30 > talking about
31 > 100 or 1000 machines.)
32 >
33 > --
34 > Andreas K. Hüttel
35 > dilfridge@g.o <mailto:dilfridge@g.o>
36 > Gentoo Linux developer (council, perl, libreoffice)
39 Why would we replicate that when Arch has been in that cavalier role for
40 over a decade? Stability is important to all users; some simply have a
41 lower tolerance for faults. It also gives us a reliable "product" for
42 others to rely on or even dogfood. I personally run on ~arch, but if I
43 were to put a friend on Gentoo, I'd want something that will be pretty
44 easy-going until they learn the skills to take on ~arch, bug reports, etc.
45
46 For many -- especially developers -- stable is only a letter away from
47 "stale", and that's fine. Some run mixed keywords, or go full ~arch. One
48 of the core values of Gentoo is choice; why take away the stable choice?
49 --
50 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
51 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
52 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6