From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Future of gentoo's stable and unstable trees: what are your thoughts?
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2017 19:44:27
1 On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 3:44 AM, Andreas K. Huettel <dilfridge@g.o>
2 wrote:
3
4 > Am Dienstag, 25. Juli 2017, 01:22:44 CEST schrieb Peter Stuge:
5 > >
6 > > I hold a perhaps radical view: I would like to simply remove stable.
7 > >
8 > > I continue to feel that maintaining two worlds (stable+unstable)
9 > > carries with it an unneccessary cost.
12 > That's not feasible. It would kill off any semi-professional or
13 > professional
14 > Gentoo use, where a minimum of stability is required.
17 So my argument (for years) has been that this is the right thing all along.
18
19 If people want a stable Gentoo, fork it and maintain it downstream of the
20 rambunctious rolling distro.
24 > (Try keeping ~10 machines on stable running without automation. That's
25 > already
26 > quite some work. Now try the same with ~arch. Now imagine you're talking
27 > about
28 > 100 or 1000 machines.)
29 >
30 > --
31 > Andreas K. Hüttel
32 > dilfridge@g.o
33 > Gentoo Linux developer (council, perl, libreoffice)