From: Matthias Schwarzott <zzam@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] merging two packages - upgrade path?
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 20:51:20
1 On Montag, 9. Juni 2008, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
2 > * Matthias Schwarzott <zzam@g.o> schrieb:
3 >
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > > This post is about how to create a nice upgrade path when merging two
7 > > packages.
8 > > The packages I care about are
9 > > media-plugins/vdr-streamdev-{client,server}, that we wanted to merge into
10 > > one media-plugins/vdr-streamdev package.
11 >
12 > please, please, don't do at it all.
13 >
14 > Server vs. clients things should really be separated, and if there's
15 > shared code between them (eg. proto headers), it should belong to
16 > another package. We've already got enough blowed-up, fat packages.
17 >
18 > Same with the -client / -server useflags: they're just a work around
19 > for certain upstream's crap design - if they really understood the
20 > concept named "client-server-model", we'd have clean lines and wouldn't
21 > need this at all.
22 >
23 > Actually, I didn't check whether the upstream did this mixup or just
24 > you, so I won't accuse you for that ;P. If it's the upstream's fault,
25 > please try to stop them.
26 >
27 > Yes, I know Gentoo's policy is to stay as near to upstream as
28 > possible, but there should be a limit. Upstream quality can range
29 > widely, from excellent to crap. Please try to keep the overall
30 > quality as high as possible and leave out the crap.
33 Well, upstream is just one file/package: vdr-streamdev-0.3.4.tgz
34
35 All other distros (that I know of) still have only one package for
36 vdr-streamdev.
37 Only gentoo has split this into the client and server parts.
38
39 But we want to revert this now, because splitting leads to more maintainance
40 effort as both ebuilds are almost the same.
41
42 Regards
43 Matthias
44 --