From: Dan Meltzer <hydrogen@×××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 42 news item for review: Radiant upgrade
Date: Sun, 06 May 2007 19:23:52
1 On Sunday 06 May 2007 3:02:38 pm Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Sun, 6 May 2007 14:53:22 -0400
3 >
4 > Dan Meltzer <hydrogen@×××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > > > One of the reasons GLEP 42 was necessary was because users *don't*
6 > > > read things delivered by other methods.
7 > >
8 > > And they are magically going to read the news?
9
10 Experience being two news items about one package. Expand this to a tree
11 size, where the user has around 400-500 packages. If they get news about
12 changes that will increase their experience for each one of these, they are
13 looking at reading the New York Times of gentoo every day. It's not going
14 to happen.
15 >
16 > Experience with a reference implementation strongly suggests that yes,
17 > people will read the news.
18 >
19 > > I doubt it if it continues to be as trivial as the first suggested
20 > > item.
21 >
22 > Paludis users do not consider that news item trivial.
23
24 If I was a paludis user I would considder this trivial. The same information
25 is availible a) from the package itself. b) from the changelog, and c) it
26 still works without the change!
27 --
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list