From: Gordon Pettey <petteyg359@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Don't use UIDs and GIDs below 100 without QA approval
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 20:43:05
1 On Sun, Nov 28, 2021 at 2:27 PM William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Sun, Nov 28, 2021 at 02:57:39PM -0500, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
4 > > We don't even do static allocation.
5
6 > There are a few exceptional cases where a user or group needs a
7 > > specific identifier; but those were always statically allocated and
8 > > nothing has changed in that regard.
9 >
10 > Doesn't the emerge fail if a different user with ACCT_USER_ID already
11 > exists on
12 > the system (unless ACCT_USER_ID is set to -1, which is forbidden by qa
13 > policy)?
14 >
15 > If that's the case I don't see how we aren't doing static allocation.
18 User PoV when I see a bunch of acct-* packages pop up in emerge @world
19 updates:
20
21 A bunch of of acct-* ebuilds make claims for specific uid/gid for
22 applications
23 that don't have a reason I can think of to be requiring a specific number,
24 and
25 would never be used in a way (e.g. NFS-shared /etc) where the numeric
26 value actually matters.