From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Training points for users interested in helping out with ebuild development (was: Re: Retiring)
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 11:50:19
1 Thilo Bangert <bangert@g.o> posted
2 200905101051.43926.bangert@g.o, excerpted below, on Sun, 10 May
3 2009 10:51:38 +0200:
4
5 > also, i feel voting for bugs is completely underutilized. votes make it
6 > apparent to the developers which bugs bug a lot of people. the incentive
7 > to fix those first is there...
8
9 Until recently, Gentoo's Bugzilla didn't even have the bug-votes feature
10 and some devs were actively against the idea if one read the debate here
11 on it. The case they made was that bug votes reflect only user
12 popularity, and as such, often tend to obscure the "importance" of the
13 bug, arguments that they could simply ignore it if it wasn't useful info
14 for them not withstanding. I expect there are still devs of that opinion.
15
16 I know I've never use the bug vote feature, partly because I simply
17 forget it's there now, and partly due to confusion from seeing the
18 earlier rants against it. Such confusion makes for pretty strong
19 negative conditioning.
24 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman