From: Thilo Bangert <bangert@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Training points for users interested in helping out with ebuild development (was: Re: [gentoo-dev] Retiring)
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 08:52:57
1 Olivier Huber <oli.huber@×××××.com> said:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > 2009/5/4 Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o>
5 >
6 > >[snip]
7 > > For those, who can work with IRC and are interested in working with
8 > > ebuilds, there is already an option:
9 > >
10 > > Join #gentoo-dev-help or even better #gentoo-sunrise and read the
11 > > documentation from the topic. The Sunrise Overlay (with the
12 > > #gentoo-sunrise IRC channel) is open for everyone willing to learn
13 > > and contribute to it. Even normal users can get access, learn how to
14 > > create ebuilds, how to improve them and how to maintain them.
15 > > As a starting point, this is a central overlay, where ebuilds are
16 > > maintained, that dont get a developer as maintainer because of
17 > > missing manpower. Additionally, all contributors learn the ebuild
18 > > development work themselves.
19 >
20 > I think these are really good advise but I think we could improve the
21 > way users can help concerning maintainer-needed packages.
22 > dirtyepic made a funny entry on his blog [1] and darkside tried also
23 > to do something [2], but it seems to me that this alias is a black
24 > hole. For instance, the last bugday I tried to close some bugs. Some
25 > one them were assigned to maintainer-needed@,
26 > so I said on #gentoo-bugs that I've updated those bugs. Sometimes, a
27 > dev was watching and the issue was closed, but for others I have still
28 > no comments (Ok. I'm too impatient, but I'm not really confident. But
29 > some devs can still surprise me ;-) )
30 >
31 > I fully understand that looking at this type of bug is hard and
32 > boring. On the other hand, I know some devs who are willing to help
33 > and check patches. Since I don't think it would be a good practise to
34 > savagely CC' them, I propose to add a bug-with-patch alias or
35 > something like that.
36
37 many devs go through maintainer-needed bugs from time to time. i think the
38 easy ones will get comitted fairly fast. instead of a bug-with-patch
39 alias, i think a _easyfix_ alias could be more helpful. it could also be
40 used by package maintainers, which dont have the time to do the _easyfix_
41 (rename version bump etc.)
42
43 sometimes the issue appears really simple, but it reallly isnt. in that
44 case it would be nice, if it were deduceable from the bug, why no progress
45 is being made.
46
47 also, i feel voting for bugs is completely underutilized. votes make it
48 apparent to the developers which bugs bug a lot of people. the incentive
49 to fix those first is there...
50
51 regards
52 Thilo