From: Olivier Huber <oli.huber@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Training points for users interested in helping out with ebuild development (was: Re: [gentoo-dev] Retiring)
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 23:59:24
1 Hi,
2
3 2009/5/4 Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o>
4 >[snip]
5 > For those, who can work with IRC and are interested in working with ebuilds, there is already an option:
6 >
7 > Join #gentoo-dev-help or even better #gentoo-sunrise and read the documentation from the topic. The
8 > Sunrise Overlay (with the #gentoo-sunrise IRC channel) is open for everyone willing to learn and
9 > contribute to it. Even normal users can get access, learn how to create ebuilds, how to improve them
10 > and how to maintain them.
11 > As a starting point, this is a central overlay, where ebuilds are maintained, that dont get a
12 > developer as maintainer because of missing manpower. Additionally, all contributors learn the ebuild
13 > development work themselves.
14
15 I think these are really good advise but I think we could improve the
16 way users can help concerning maintainer-needed packages.
17 dirtyepic made a funny entry on his blog [1] and darkside tried also
18 to do something [2], but it seems to me that this alias is a black
19 hole. For instance, the last bugday I tried to close some bugs. Some
20 one them were assigned to maintainer-needed@,
21 so I said on #gentoo-bugs that I've updated those bugs. Sometimes, a
22 dev was watching and the issue was closed, but for others I have still
23 no comments (Ok. I'm too impatient, but I'm not really confident. But
24 some devs can still surprise me ;-) )
25
26 I fully understand that looking at this type of bug is hard and
27 boring. On the other hand, I know some devs who are willing to help
28 and check patches. Since I don't think it would be a good practise to
29 savagely CC' them, I propose to add a bug-with-patch alias or
30 something like that.
31
32 Cheers,
35 Olivier Huber