From: Stuart Longland <redhatter@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Software patents
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 05:17:16
1 twofourtysix wrote:
2 > I applaud all those people on the Planet who are posting
3 > anti-software-patent banners in their blogs. It's good to see yet
4 > another major software project taking a stance.
5
6 Heh, notice mine's not amongst them... but it will be. I'm carefully
7 constructing my post now. :-)
8
9 "Better to keep your mouth shut, and people think you're a fool,
10 than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
11 -- Confucious
12
13 > Are these people prepared to back up their views by removing from the
14 > tree all those ebuilds for software made by companies who make heavy
15 > use of software patents?
16
17 Why stop there? Why not extend it to hardware manufacturers that make
18 heavy use of patents?
19
20 Good luck finding a decent video card for that lovely desktop of yours. :-)
21
22 In all seriousness... perhaps maybe allowing users to mask packages that
23 have a particular licence? I'm not sure there, but that would be one
24 solution. I personally don't think it's necessary to go as far as
25 removing the ebuilds though... after all, it's not the ebuild that's
26 covered under the patent. :-)
29 ____ _ Stuart Longland (a.k.a Redhatter)
30 / _ \ ___ ___ __| |__ __ __ Gentoo Linux/MIPS Cobalt and Docs
31 - (_) \ / \ ; \(__ __)/ \ / \ Developer
34 (___/ \____/|_; |_| \_/ \__/ \__/ http://dev.gentoo.org/~redhatter