From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] OpenRc-0.12 is coming soon
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2013 15:29:14
1 On Sat, Aug 03, 2013 at 01:03:58PM +0300, Markos Chandras wrote:
2 > On Aug 3, 2013 10:06 AM, "Donnie Berkholz" <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > On 15:36 Fri 02 Aug , William Hubbs wrote:
5 > > > All,
6 > > >
7 > > > This message is an announcement and a reminder.
8 > > >
9 > > > OpenRc-0.12 will be introduced to the portage tree in the next few days.
10 > > >
11 > > > If you are using ~arch OpenRc, the standard disclaimer applies: remember
12 > > > that you might be subject to breakage.
13 > > >
14 > > > I do not know of any breakage personally. It does work on my system, and
15 > > > I know of others who are using OpenRc from git successfully. Some are
16 > > > OpenRc team members, and at least one is a Gentoo user.
17 > > >
18 > > > If you are not comfortable with the possibility of breakage, I recommend
19 > > > that you make sure you do not upgrade right away.
20 > > >
21 > > > If, on the other hand, you are comfortable with that possibility and you
22 > > > are willing to help us test and get rid of bugs before we go stable,
23 > > > feel free to run ~arch.
24 > > >
25 > > > In other words, this is the standard Gentoo disclaimer, so consider
26 > > > yourself warned.
27 > >
28 > > Man, in terms of how to phrase things, this is way wrong.
29 > >
30 > > If you're comfortable with your stuff breaking really? No. If you want
31 > > to help improve Gentoo.
32 > >
33 > > --
34 > > Thanks,
35 > > Donnie
36 > >
37 > > Donnie Berkholz
38 > > Council Member / Sr. Developer, Gentoo Linux <http://dberkholz.com>
39 > > Analyst, RedMonk <http://redmonk.com/dberkholz/>
40 >
41 > I am not comfortable with this either. If you think the new openrc will
42 > likely break things please mask it for a few days. Do not expect all users
43 > to read the mailing list.
44
45 Ok all, I would like to appologise for the harsh wording.
46
47 Markos, to answer your question, there are folks on the team, and at
48 least one user, using OpenRc from git without issues, so as far as I
49 know there shouldn't be any breakage.
50
51 I guess I was a little more harsh than I should have been, because I
52 know there are users out here who want ~arch to be rock solid, and I
53 have caught flack before from some of that crowd.
54
55 William