From: Sergei Trofimovich <slyfox@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: lu_zero@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] eselect init
Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 11:30:53
1 On Sat, 25 May 2013 11:54:48 +0200
2 Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Hi, since the whole discussion got somehow sidetracked on where and if
5 > to install for everybody the rc system specific files for everybody
6 > (that should be an implementation detail for the specific dohelper
7 > IMHO), I'm back to the other part of it: switching the actual init
8 > implementation.
9 >
10 > # WHY (not just edit your bootloader)
11 >
12 > Since efi at least some people started to put in the kernel the bootargs
13 > and we have at least few new options brewing for init, some are
14 > small impact (bootchar, bb-init-openrc and runit-openrc) some are more
15 > invasive (runit and systemd).
16 >
17 > In those setup changing bootargs requires a kernel rebuild and some
18 > effort, while the eselect approach stays completely transparent.
19 >
20 > For some switch we might not have just to change the init binary bit
21 > also to do some other changes (e.g. use a different format for inittab)
22
23 If you can't change options at boot time it's very simple to get
24 unbootable system. Just curious, who does such systems and
25 how root filesystem (+ it's mount options) is expected to be
26 found there?
27
28 I guess EFI allows you to set bootargs via EFI UI.
29
30 I'd go for init=/sbin/gentoo-init and make all the messy stuff there.
31 Otherwise by breaking /sbin/init it would be hard to find proper
32 name of, say, SYSVs /sbin/init. How would you call it?
33
34 > # KEYPOINTS
35 >
36 > - /sbin/init (or whatever linux currently calls by default with top
37 > priority) should be either a symlink to the actual implementation or a
38 > wrapper such as our gcc one. I like better the latter since it is
39 > overall safer. The former might or might work since linux has some
40 > fallback capabilities but hadn't been tested.
41 >
42 > - init gets effectively switched only at boot/reboot, eselect init must
43 > keep track of the current active init and make sure the current init
44 > configuration is used till the system reboots, if we use the wrapper
45 > approach, it would pick up what's the new init at boot and that would be
46 > enough for simple cases, hooks on reboot are still needed for more
47 > complex ones.
48 >
49 > - we could try to not have the changes to the current init systems
50 > ebuild or reduce them to the bare minimum (e.g. not overwrite /sbin/init)
51 >
52 > # FOCUS
53 >
54 > My interest is mostly if not all on bb-init-openrc and slightly on
55 > runit-openrc.
56 >
57 > There are enough people involved in systemd and since I still consider
58 > it a dangerously frail implementation of a bad idea is better if I do
59 > not touch it at all.
60 >
61 > My system with stock openrc gets from linux start to graphical login in
62 > less than 6s and I'm not using Gnome so I do not have any reason to use
63 > it beside comparing.
64 >
65 > lu
72 Sergei