From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] eselect init
Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 09:55:11
1 Hi, since the whole discussion got somehow sidetracked on where and if
2 to install for everybody the rc system specific files for everybody
3 (that should be an implementation detail for the specific dohelper
4 IMHO), I'm back to the other part of it: switching the actual init
5 implementation.
6
7 # WHY (not just edit your bootloader)
8
9 Since efi at least some people started to put in the kernel the bootargs
10 and we have at least few new options brewing for init, some are
11 small impact (bootchar, bb-init-openrc and runit-openrc) some are more
12 invasive (runit and systemd).
13
14 In those setup changing bootargs requires a kernel rebuild and some
15 effort, while the eselect approach stays completely transparent.
16
17 For some switch we might not have just to change the init binary bit
18 also to do some other changes (e.g. use a different format for inittab)
19
20 # KEYPOINTS
21
22 - /sbin/init (or whatever linux currently calls by default with top
23 priority) should be either a symlink to the actual implementation or a
24 wrapper such as our gcc one. I like better the latter since it is
25 overall safer. The former might or might work since linux has some
26 fallback capabilities but hadn't been tested.
27
28 - init gets effectively switched only at boot/reboot, eselect init must
29 keep track of the current active init and make sure the current init
30 configuration is used till the system reboots, if we use the wrapper
31 approach, it would pick up what's the new init at boot and that would be
32 enough for simple cases, hooks on reboot are still needed for more
33 complex ones.
34
35 - we could try to not have the changes to the current init systems
36 ebuild or reduce them to the bare minimum (e.g. not overwrite /sbin/init)
37
38 # FOCUS
39
40 My interest is mostly if not all on bb-init-openrc and slightly on
41 runit-openrc.
42
43 There are enough people involved in systemd and since I still consider
44 it a dangerously frail implementation of a bad idea is better if I do
45 not touch it at all.
46
47 My system with stock openrc gets from linux start to graphical login in
48 less than 6s and I'm not using Gnome so I do not have any reason to use
49 it beside comparing.
50
51 lu