From: "Robin H.Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-core@g.o, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] OpenSSL 0.9.7b, KEYWORDS=amd64, recompiling systems, MySQL4 and Apache2
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 00:47:16
Seeing the recent amd64 mixup, I have a problem with a course of action
that was taken with a specific package.

Namely, dev-libs/openssl-0.9.7b.
I have it emerged as it is required for some of the work I've been
doing.

Previously it was hardmasked. The only reason that it was still
hardmasked, is that after emerging it, you have to rebuild your entire
system. Read the warning in the ebuild, and take full heed of it.
A better solution to fetching all the packages ahead of time is:
USE="-ssl" emerge wget
As then wget doesn't break when libssl.so.0.9.6 vanishes.

For doing the OpenSSL upgrade:
USE="-ssl" emerge wget
emerge gentoolkit
[emerge OpenSSL 0.9.7b]
emerge gcc (see bug #13795 for the reason behind this)
revdep-rebuild

For upgrading to MySQL4 the identical problem exists, as the libaries
change their version numbers, and stuff linked against them is then
broken. This is not quite as serious as OpenSSL as only need to run
'revdep-rebuild' to fix everything.

Woodchip proposed moving Apache2 to stable x86 recently, and that has a
lot in common with this. Namely, any mod_* that is emerged requires
rebuilding. revdep-rebuild doesn't catch this case presently, so it must
be done manually.

The ~* trees are intended as the unstable trees. There is _nothing_
unstable about MySQL4, Apache2, or OpenSSL0.9.7. The only reason they
are in ~x86 or were previously hardmasked is that the upgrade path is
non-trivial.

I propose that we make a _large_ announcement to all users that they will
need to run a specific set of commands, and put all of the packages
involved into the stable tree in a single move, so that as little
redundant rebuilding as possible is done.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail     : robbat2@××××××××××××××.net