From: "Robin H.Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-core@g.o, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] OpenSSL 0.9.7b, KEYWORDS=amd64, recompiling systems, MySQL4 and Apache2
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 00:47:16
1 Seeing the recent amd64 mixup, I have a problem with a course of action
2 that was taken with a specific package.
3
4 Namely, dev-libs/openssl-0.9.7b.
5 I have it emerged as it is required for some of the work I've been
6 doing.
7
8 Previously it was hardmasked. The only reason that it was still
9 hardmasked, is that after emerging it, you have to rebuild your entire
10 system. Read the warning in the ebuild, and take full heed of it.
11 A better solution to fetching all the packages ahead of time is:
12 USE="-ssl" emerge wget
13 As then wget doesn't break when libssl.so.0.9.6 vanishes.
14
15 For doing the OpenSSL upgrade:
16 USE="-ssl" emerge wget
17 emerge gentoolkit
18 [emerge OpenSSL 0.9.7b]
19 emerge gcc (see bug #13795 for the reason behind this)
20 revdep-rebuild
21
22 For upgrading to MySQL4 the identical problem exists, as the libaries
23 change their version numbers, and stuff linked against them is then
24 broken. This is not quite as serious as OpenSSL as only need to run
25 'revdep-rebuild' to fix everything.
26
27 Woodchip proposed moving Apache2 to stable x86 recently, and that has a
28 lot in common with this. Namely, any mod_* that is emerged requires
29 rebuilding. revdep-rebuild doesn't catch this case presently, so it must
30 be done manually.
31
32 The ~* trees are intended as the unstable trees. There is _nothing_
33 unstable about MySQL4, Apache2, or OpenSSL0.9.7. The only reason they
34 are in ~x86 or were previously hardmasked is that the upgrade path is
35 non-trivial.
36
37 I propose that we make a _large_ announcement to all users that they will
38 need to run a specific set of commands, and put all of the packages
39 involved into the stable tree in a single move, so that as little
40 redundant rebuilding as possible is done.
43 Robin Hugh Johnson
44 E-Mail : robbat2@××××××××××××××.net
45 Home Page : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2
46 ICQ# : 30269588 or 41961639
47 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85