From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 42 "Critical News Reporting" Round Two
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 20:48:37
1 On Sun, 2005-11-20 at 13:06 -0500, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > Huh?
3 >
4 > I was using it as an example of something that I would not be interested
5 > in seeing in *my* tree since I wouldn't ever be able to attend. What
6 > did you think I meant by it. Did I at any point say that the UK dev
7 > meets are a bad thing?
8
9 I felt that you laboured the point beyond what was reasonable. It's a
10 mis-understanding on my part, and I apologise.
11
12 > > The events I've been involved in organising have been events for users,
13 > > and they've always been put together by both developers and users. I
14 > > believe that some of our users *are* interested in exactly this type of
15 > > news - and, from the enquiries I've had in the past, not just UK-based
16 > > people.
17 >
18 > Not in the tree. There is already a place for this stuff.
19
20 Delivering news via this mechanism allows us to reach far more people
21 than we can via the other places. If we could already reach everyone,
22 we wouldn't need this mechanism in the first place.
23
24 > It really sounds like you are wanting to make this proposal way too
25 > complex, but I'll wait for the actual GLEP text before making any more
26 > comments.
27
28 I don't see the complexity here. We're proposing a capability to
29 deliver news direct to our users, in a way that can be completely
30 disabled or personalised. How many large corporations would kill to
31 have something that could do that? ;-)
32
33 If I can't convince you of the merits, I guess there's nothing else for
34 it but to continue work on delivering the proposal without your
35 support :(
36
37 Best regards,
38 Stu