From: Jeremy Maitin-Shepard <jbms@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Interaction in ebuilds - bad idea?
Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 19:52:54
1 Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o> writes:
2
3 > [snip]
4
5 >> Like I said, it would only have to ask for information that wasn't
6 >> available from the cache of answers. Provided there was a tool to pre-edit
7 >> the cache - something I suggested earlier - then your scenarios would work.
8
9 > I agree with such a setup. Have a way in which - optionally - the ebuild can
10 > be preconfigured. This configuration would need to be selfcontained in such a
11 > way that the configuration files can be copied and created at any
12 > time.
13
14 I much prefer requiring pre-configuration. I don't like the idea of
15 emerge being interactive under any circumstance.
16
17 > ps. Besides this I feel the need to allow per-ebuild descriptions on useflags.
18 > Those descriptions would describe what the consequences of the useflags are.
19 > Like for subversion the berkdb useflag signifies whether the server part gets
20 > build (because berkdb is needed for that), it would be very usefull to have
21 > some easilly accessible description for it.
22
23 In this case, a "server" use flag would be more appropriate. It is the
24 same reason that the X use flag should control whether x-chat builds
25 with X support or text support, rather than the gtk use flag.
28 Jeremy Maitin-Shepard
31 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list