From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP RFC: Third-party contributions
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2016 13:53:49
1 On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 12:49 AM, Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 10/27/2016 06:13 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
3 >>
4 >> So yes, it would probably be enough to put such a simple statement
5 >> somewhere. The problem is: where? ;-) GLEP seemed like a
6 >> straightforward solution to make it global.
9 > Could it be relevant on the git workflow page? I consult that on a
10 > regular basis (it's even in my watch list), and accepting/pushing
11 > contributions seems like it's right in line with our expected git workflow.
14 I think that the git workflow page is probably a good place to
15 consolidate developer-focused (or serious-contributor-focused)
16 information. I don't think it is a great place to point outside
17 contributors.
18
19 An external contribution has a few parts:
20 1. External contributor submits contribution.
21 2. Somebody makes sure it is good.
22 3. The contribution makes it into a repository official branch.
23
24 Part 3 and possibly part 2 might belong on that git workflow page. I
25 think part 1 really needs to be on a "how to contribute" page that is
26 really focused on outsiders.
27
28 Of course, having an overall git workflow that is inclusive of both
29 internal and external contributions where it comes to the actual
30 Gentoo dev doing the commits seems like a good idea.
33 Rich