From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Projects and subproject status
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 21:34:58
1 On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 22:21 +0200, Petteri Räty wrote:
2 > William L. Thomson Jr. kirjoitti:
3 > >
4 > > No clue on ETA. I will take a peek/poke at it. I need to double check,
5 > > but pretty sure icedtea might still need sun-jdk to build. Even if that
6 > > is not the case, things like the plugin and other non-open aspects
7 > > aren't available yet in icedtea. So there is still much left to be
8 > > desired.
11 > The whole reason for icedtea to exist is to have a version of OpenJDK
12 > that doesn't require sun-jdk to build.
13
14 Right but when we have discussed it in the past, the dep of sun-jdk was
15 the de-motivator. Pretty much per your words in a past August
16 meeting[1-2].
17
18 "(16:46:07) wltjr: I am clueless to it all, just picking up on tid bits, no clue on requirements
19 (16:46:16) wltjr: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IcedTea_%28software%29
20 (16:46:21) Betelgeuse: icedtue builts just fine with Sun Java
21 (16:46:26) Betelgeuse: but that beats the point of icedtea
22 (16:46:31) wltjr: lol :)
23 (16:46:36) vladsharp: wltjr: the last time I checked, IcedTea? needed gcj working
24 (16:46:45) vladsharp: Betelgeuse: yes..
25 (16:46:56) Caster: sounds like geki's job :P
26 (16:47:10) Betelgeuse: eventually icedtea stuff should be merged back to OpenJDK proper
27 (16:47:19) Betelgeuse: so IcedTea? would never really make into main tree
28 (16:47:28) Betelgeuse: as such I am not interested in putting effort to packaging it
29 (16:47:38) Betelgeuse: but others feel free :)"
30
31 Granted I believe things have changed since, but are not 100%.
32
33 gcj is not even official maintained by any Gentoo Devs atm. No where
34 near close to being added to tree. Much less in the same overlay as
35 openjdk. Not that it's in bad shape, but there is no syncing or
36 collaboration there. But seems moot, as IcedTea should not require gcj
37 to build. If I am reading the upstream docs correctly[3].
38
39 > You can also have a plugin with the use of gcjwebplugin.
40
41 Even the plugin lacks allot of plugin functionality per the previous
42 link[3]. They claim basic support. Kinda makes me think about gnash wrt
43 to Flash there. Sure there is an open source Flash player plugin, but
44 can anyone really use it all the time? Not really, so not sure if
45 applets are the same with gcjwebplugin. I doubt one could use that in
46 all places a normal Java plugin would be used.
47
48 Not to mention gcjwebplugin is another project[4], not part of IcedTea.
49 They are just using it. I don't know if IcedTea is shipping it or is
50 available on it's own? Seems integration is still in progress[5]. If on
51 it's own, I don't believe there is a gcjwebplugin ebuild floating
52 around?
53
54 What about Java Webstart? Which is almost used more than the plugin on
55 the desktop these days, for some. Seems they are using another external
56 project there? But I can't find reference or mention, atm. Is that a
57 complete project as well? Not sure.
58
59 1. http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/java/wiki/August_2007_Summary
60 2. http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/java/wiki/August_2007_Meeting_Log