From: Dan Meltzer <parallelgrapefruit@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] implementation details for GLEP 41
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 22:51:07
1 On 11/19/05, Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 05:06:15PM +0000 or thereabouts, Kurt Lieber wrote:
3 > > For instance, the way GLEP 41 suggests doing r/o cvs is not going to work.
4 >
5 > So, in the interests of trying to find a solution to this particular
6 > problem...
7 >
8 > As I understand the GLEP, the main requirement here is to give the arch
9 > testers faster access to the ebuilds in CVS. Is this accurate?
10
11 This is the main idea behind it I believe.
12 >
13 > If so, is there any reason we have to use CVS? Lance and I are both
14 > concerned about the extra load that another 50-100 people (extrapolating
15 > from the 20 folks that amd64 says they have currently) will place on
16 > cvs.g.o and I'd rather break this out onto a separate server.
17
18 Funy, I was just pondering that myself... is authenticated rsync
19 really possible? I was thinking about some sort of on-the-fly access
20 list updating based on a daemon running on AT's computers, that sent
21 current IP.. but that sounded kind of messy, I suppose you are better
22 at figuring this out than I am, though :)
23
24 The only downside to this that I can see would be the lack of
25 history... FEX an upgraded -rX ebuild breaks something, I could test
26 against previous -rX's in turn to find out exactly which broke it, and
27 other history like stuff. This may or may not be necessary/helpful,
28 hard to say without it having happened :)
29
30 Thanks for coming back and thinking about the implementation,
31 reguardless of which way its done.
32 >
33 > One proposal being discussed is setting up a dedicated rsync server for
34 > this purpose that a) syncs from CVS more frequently and b) has no ban
35 > limits imposed on it. Arch testers would have some way of authenticating
36 > to the box and being able to sync as frequently as they wanted to. Current
37 > goal is to have all data in this new repository within 30 minutes of it
38 > hitting CVS. (current average is about 1 hour)
39 >
40 > If the requirement is for r/o CVS access to the same CVS server that the
41 > pure-blooded developers use (sorry, couldn't resist) then it may require
42 > upgrades to our existing server and/or purchasing a new server.
43 >
44 > --kurt
50 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list