From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Cc: gentoo-core@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo website issues
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 16:23:32
1 Dear all,
2 I've spent a bit of time recently thinking about our website and some
3 of the current problems with it. I don't have any problems with our
4 look-and-feel, as I think that part of the site was designed very well,
5 but I do think there are both navigation and maintainance issues that
6 have arisen in the two years since the current site was designed. I'm
7 listing some problems that I see with the site, and I would greatly
8 appreciate it if people would add to this list.
9
10 1. Right now it is essentially impossible to navigate to any of our
11 project pages (including all of the top-level projects such as
12 infrastructure, hardened, ...) from the gentoo main page. At the same
13 time, the main page is getting a bit crowded with links (especially the
14 left-hand navigation column).
15
16 2. The last time I looked, our xsl code was really ugly. Moreover,
17 there's a great deal of content that is buried in the xsl. (For
18 example, adding a new link to the left-hand navigation column requires
19 editing the xsl file).
20
21 3. Numerous people have complained that the html+css we generate is
22 remarkably ugly. I don't know if we can fix this problem without losing
23 support for older browsers (NS 4.x being the principle offender).
24
25 Best,
26 g2boojum
27 --