From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gentoo-sources - should we stable?
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2015 11:33:35
1 Mike Pagano posted on Fri, 02 Jan 2015 15:46:21 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 > We have had a lot of stable kernels with a not-so-stable btrfs. That's
4 > a whole conversation in itself. There are pieces of the kernel that are
5 > in a, shall we say, less stable state than others.
6
7 On btrfs FWIW...
8
9 As a gentoo/~arch btrfs user myself and reasonably active on the btrfs
10 list, I'd *never* recommend btrfs in anything like its current state to a
11 gentoo-stable user. Just tonite, before I switched to this list I was on
12 the btrfs list, and I just got thru posting a reply to someone running
13 ubuntu with a 3.13 series kernel, suggesting they upgrade to something
14 newer than the paleolithic.
15
16 I'll repeat what I said there. There are valid reasons to wish to stick
17 with a tested stable system, but those reasons and the reasons one would
18 choose btrfs in its current state simply collide, because it's anything
19 but fully stable. Thus, one must choose, either a different filesystem
20 if one wants to run old and known stable, or btrfs, but do try to keep
21 up, tho not necessarily the /latest/ stable series, one back and
22 following the list so as to know if there's problems with the current
23 stable before you upgrade, seems to be the sweet spot.
24
25 Regardless, btrfs is not yet any place for stable-arch gentooers to
26 play. xfs seems to be the commonly recommended stable alternative these
27 days, while at least since data=ordered by default, I've had extremely
28 good luck with reiserfs, which I continue to use for my own off-btrfs
29 backups. (FWIW I'm not the only one a bit leery of ext3/4. I was
30 surprised at how few folks recommend it as a stable alternative to
31 btrfs. For those interested in stability, xfs really does seem to be the
32 best recommended filesystem out there at this point.)
35 So btrfs is really out of context for this discussion, centered on kernel
36 stable keywording as it is. If you've reason to stick with stable,
37 you've reason to choose something other than btrfs, and that's likely to
38 remain the case for, I'd say, another year at least, tho things /are/
39 getting better... slowly...
44 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman