From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gentoo-sources - should we stable?
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2015 12:54:06
1 On Sat, Jan 3, 2015 at 6:33 AM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > As a gentoo/~arch btrfs user myself and reasonably active on the btrfs
3 > list, I'd *never* recommend btrfs in anything like its current state to a
4 > gentoo-stable user. Just tonite, before I switched to this list I was on
5 > the btrfs list, and I just got thru posting a reply to someone running
6 > ubuntu with a 3.13 series kernel, suggesting they upgrade to something
7 > newer than the paleolithic.
8
9 Well, everybody has their preferences, but my sense is that somebody
10 that you consider a candidate for Gentoo stable probably shouldn't be
11 running Gentoo at all.
12
13 I tend to run stable because I LIKE to run bleeding-edge packages, but
14 I want to pick which ones are bleeding edge. Btrfs is one that I'm
15 interested in so I'll go ahead and take the risks and follow upstream
16 closely. On the other hand, I'm not that interested in running the
17 latest and greatest mysql, and I'd prefer not to have to stay on top
18 of all their bleeding-edge issues as well. The thing that Gentoo gets
19 you that virtually no other distro does is the ability to mix
20 keywords. Sure, you're less tested/supported in that configuration,
21 but in my experience there are almost never issues and when they are
22 they tend to be build issues and not runtime issues, so the pain is
23 minor and obvious.
24
25 In any case, whether you run btrfs or not the general principle is for
26 stable users to not run the very latest kernel branch the day it is
27 released. Longterm does that reasonably well, and it gets btrfs
28 backports just like all the others.
31 Rich