From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] x86 2004.2 Profile
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 18:23:15
1 On Fri, 2004-07-09 at 19:16, Spider wrote:
2 > begin quote
3 > On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 15:00:18 -0500
4 > Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 >
6 > > I don't understand why the switch from xfree to xorg-x11 is a big
7 > > deal. They are currently source and binary compatible. Almost
8 > > everything (if not everything) works the same with xorg-x11 as it did
9 > > with xfree.
13 > Except that if you do something like this :
14 > emerge sync; emerge -u world
15 > cp -a /etc/X11/XF86Config /etc/ssh /etc/pass* /etc/grou* /etc/shad*
16 > /etc/conf.d /etc/pcmcia /etc/rc.conf /var/lib/portage/world /backup
17 >
18 > reformat, unpack the -same- stage3, and then restore them...
19 >
20 > oops. suddenly things don't work because even when they are binary
21 > compatible, they aren't config compatible, and users should be able to
22 > expect that if they install the same applications (face it, the world
23 > file isn't likely to contain the xfree version, most likely it contains
24 > mozilla, Gnome, KDE, xfce or other such thing that brought X in as a
25 > dependency ) They will get them. We currently break reliability often,
26 > which is a pretty bad thing. :-/
27 >
28 > only by actually doing things like this new profile, can we in fact
29 > increase reliability.
30
31 So what is the consensus? I am either going to make the new profile or
32 make xorg-x11 the default in the current profile as soon as spyderous
33 marks it stable, so we can start building the stages for 2004.2.
36 Chris Gianelloni
37 Release Engineering QA Manager/Games Developer
38 Gentoo Linux
39
40 Is your power animal a pengiun?
44 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list