From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Rebooting the Installer Project
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 16:09:00
1 On Tue, 21 Jul 2015 09:10:52 -0500 J.Rutkowski wrote:
2 > The problem I have with using Sabayon to ultimately install Gentoo is it
3 > takes way too much work than just doing a Gentoo install...
4
5 You missed my point. I'm interesting not in minimizing total time
6 spent for installation and configuration. I'm interested in fast
7 bootstrapping from "here your box" to "you need to have this work
8 done". Of course proper configuration and fine tuning will require
9 time, but this should be done later, not right away.
10
11 > You would have to uninstall all entropy applications
12
13 If this is supported using emerge --depclean or some other tool
14 present in the distribution, this is fine.
15
16 > and begin using
17 > just portage, edit make.conf (look for sabayon mirrors), rebuild world,
18 > replace Sabayon Kernel with Gentoo kernel,
19
20 I will have to rebuild kernel, @system and @world anyway, even with
21 GRS installation.
22
23 > change framebuffer splash from Sabayon,
24
25 Installing lilo in text mode should be fine, right?
26
27 > remove overlay and rebuild all over again, and then hunt
28 > down the rest of the Sabayon-specific files.
29
30 This what is bothers me. Are they leftovers outside of portage
31 control?
32
33 > You will have breakage.
34
35 I always have breakage even during casual updates. 1 failed package
36 per 100 built is a very good result. Often I have 1/50 failures
37 (though most of them can be fixed by running some damn-cleaner or
38 updater).
39
40 > That doesn't even take into account downgrading from ~amd64.
41
42 I never use stable arches, even in production. Software is just too
43 old for my needs and taste, lots of packages are not keyworded
44 for stable at all. Security updates for stable are often too slow
45 as well. Your mileage may vary of course, after all there are many
46 people interested in stable, but I'm not one of them. Yeah, I file
47 stabilization requests for my packages, work with arch teams, but
48 this is my burden as a maintainer of these packages, nothing more.
49
50 > If you are doing that much rebuilding, it's faster just to do it yourself
51 > originally.
52
53 It depends on "faster" how, as I mentioned above, I have use cases
54 where the smallest time from raw box till working environment is
55 critical. I can use any other distro of course and start to setup
56 my Gentoo chroot/partition as usual, but it is much faster to use
57 Gentoo derivative than any other random distro, right?
58
59 Anyway there are many Gentoo derivatives, not only Sabayon.
60 Probably I should check Calculate too.
61
62 Best regards,
63 Andrew Savchenko