From: Wernfried Haas <amne@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] July Council Meeting: Requested Agenda Item
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 07:34:30
1 On Sat, Jun 10, 2006 at 04:28:36AM +0100, Christel Dahlskjaer wrote:
2 > I would like to ask that the Council discuss the current state and
3 > future of the GWN at their next meeting.
4
5 Council? Why escalate things? Have you talked to Ulrich about the
6 problems mentioned below? Isn't the GWN somehow a userrel issue? ;-)
7
8 > 1. Reliability. The GWN claims to be a weekly publication, yet it
9 > frequently fails to publish without prior warning. There was no edition
10 > this week, and Patrick Lauer says that it is "unknown" whether there
11 > will be an edition next week as Ulrich Plate is AWOL.
12
13 I agree there are problems due to Ulrich being awol every now and
14 then, but what can the council do about it? Fire him so the GWN is
15 unmaintained? ;-)
16
17 > 2. Permissions. Although it could be considered flattering that the GWN
18 > should choose a developer's blog as inspiration for an article, they
19 > should ensure that they have the developer / author's permission before
20 > quoting them (see previous complaints by brix, ciaranm and others).
21
22 Why? What makes blog posts different to mailing list/forum threads,
23 new versions being released etc? Do you want to ask people for
24 permission then, too?
25
26 > I also believe that when posting an article or interview, a copy should
27 > be sent to the relevant people to ensure that they are ok with what is
28 > being posted (my dev of the week interview, for example, was rather
29 > screwed up and misrepresentative). When someone contacts GWN to have
30 > something corrected, it would be appreciated were the GWN staff to at
31 > least deign to acknowledge receipt, even if for some reason they choose
32 > not to honour the corrections or post a retraction (although refusing to
33 > publish corrections is extremely insulting to those wronged).
34
35 Considering Ulrich is appearently still/again awol, could that be the
36 reason? I have requested small fixes (like wrong email addresses in
37 stuff i submitted) every now and than and got what i asked for.
38
39 > 3. Misinformation, misquotations and outright fabrications. Sure,
40 > there's freedom of the press, but that shouldn't be used as an excuse
41 > for deliberately making up quotes and printing intentional
42 > misinformation.
43
44 Huh? Can you back that statement up?
45
46 > From a PR perspective, Gentoo could benefit greatly by better
47 > utilisation of the GWN. I believe that as it stands, however, the GWN is
48 > discouraging people from contributing and damaging Gentoo's credibility.
49
50 I have submitted a bunch of articles to the GWN, and it has always
51 worked fine for me. Yes, Ulrich is awol at times and sometimes there
52 are smaller corrections to make in the final article, but i never felt
53 discouraged to submit my stuff. Worst case it takes a few extra days
54 to get published.
55
56 > Another thing that concerns me is the way the articles are written. It
57 > is blatanly obvious that the GWN writers are not native English speakers
58 > as both the grammar and the flow of the articles is far from attractive.
59 > Having read through the archives, I notice that there was once a time
60 > when the GWN was a great publication, and I would like to think that it
61 > could become great yet again; in its current state, though, it is doing
62 > more harm than good.
63
64 I disagree. GWN could use some more manpower to improve this and that,
65 but i don't see the harm - at least i could easily come up with lots
66 of stuff happening that does more harm (Not pointing my finger at
67 anyone and leaving it up to everyone's imagination to think of
68 something that does damage Gentoo in a terrible way).
69
70 > Lack of content and poorly written or incorrect articles are often
71 > justified by the GWN team on grounds of overwork and insufficient
72 > manpower. When I asked why they were not recruiting, I was informed that
73 > no-one has any interest in contributing. Upon speaking with others,
74 > however, I find that this is not the case -- people are interested, but
75 > fear (and rightly so) that their work will be edited in such a way that
76 > it is no longer something with which they want to be associated.
77
78 I'm sure a solution can be found to that problem - actually Ulrich is
79 quite a nice guy to talk to, so if those people came out of hiding
80 those problems may be solved by talking.
81
82 > Another complaint is that the GWN rejects any writing style which has
83 > any degree of character or levity. Any attempt at dececnt writing (the
84 > kind that would make it into publication in English newspapers or
85 > magazines, for example), is met with the claim that "the GWN is not a
86 > humorous publication".
87
88 http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/20060522-newsletter.xml#doc_chap3
89 Look at the picture and tell me it's not at least a tiny bit
90 humorous. Agreed, the joke is a bit obvious.
91
92 > I would like to see discussion about the way the GWN is
93 > (mis)representing Gentoo, how we can better actualise its full potential
94 > and what can be done to address the concerns listed above.
95
96 I'm still not sure why the council should discuss the issue in the
97 first place, i think everyone agrees that the GWN is a bit
98 understaffed (for whatever reason) and some stuff doesn't work too
99 well. So i assume helping out with the GWN and helping those who fear
100 it for some reason may be the best way to solve these problems.
101
102 cheers,
103 Wernfried
106 Wernfried Haas (amne) - amne at gentoo dot org
107 Gentoo Forums: http://forums.gentoo.org
108 IRC: #gentoo-forums on freenode - email: forum-mods at gentoo dot org