From: Christel Dahlskjaer <christel@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] July Council Meeting: Requested Agenda Item
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 23:01:55
1 On Sat, 2006-06-10 at 09:27 +0200, Wernfried Haas wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jun 10, 2006 at 04:28:36AM +0100, Christel Dahlskjaer wrote:
3 > > I would like to ask that the Council discuss the current state and
4 > > future of the GWN at their next meeting.
5 >
6 > Council? Why escalate things? Have you talked to Ulrich about the
7 > problems mentioned below? Isn't the GWN somehow a userrel issue? ;-)
8
9 I have attempted, but as it happens I have never ever spoken to Ulrich
10 as he does not respond to my e-mails and does not frequent IRC and I
11 don't have his telephone number or address. And the GWN doesn't come
12 under Userrel, although they do have a representative within Userrel,
13 one whom I understand to be wanting to make some improvements to the
14 GWN.
15
16 As for why the Council, because thats what people suggested when I asked
17 which route to take when he was unresponsive.
18
19 > > 1. Reliability. The GWN claims to be a weekly publication, yet it
20 > > frequently fails to publish without prior warning. There was no edition
21 > > this week, and Patrick Lauer says that it is "unknown" whether there
22 > > will be an edition next week as Ulrich Plate is AWOL.
23 >
24 > I agree there are problems due to Ulrich being awol every now and
25 > then, but what can the council do about it? Fire him so the GWN is
26 > unmaintained? ;-)
27
28 No. I don't want anyone fired. However, I believe that the other GWN guy
29 could be provided with sufficient access to make sure it goes out, and I
30 believe that Ulrich could give some warning when possible so that
31 Patrick or whomever can get it out regardless of whether Ulrich is
32 around or not.
33
34 > > 2. Permissions. Although it could be considered flattering that the GWN
35 > > should choose a developer's blog as inspiration for an article, they
36 > > should ensure that they have the developer / author's permission before
37 > > quoting them (see previous complaints by brix, ciaranm and others).
38 >
39 > Why? What makes blog posts different to mailing list/forum threads,
40 > new versions being released etc? Do you want to ask people for
41 > permission then, too?
42
43 If you re-read what I said I don't have an issue with the GWN or anyone
44 else using someones blog post as inspiration, I do however believe that
45 when quoting someone and writing the article in such a way that the
46 'quotee' appears to have spoken to the publication you need to get some
47 consensus before printing.
48
49 > > I also believe that when posting an article or interview, a copy should
50 > > be sent to the relevant people to ensure that they are ok with what is
51 > > being posted (my dev of the week interview, for example, was rather
52 > > screwed up and misrepresentative). When someone contacts GWN to have
53 > > something corrected, it would be appreciated were the GWN staff to at
54 > > least deign to acknowledge receipt, even if for some reason they choose
55 > > not to honour the corrections or post a retraction (although refusing to
56 > > publish corrections is extremely insulting to those wronged).
57 >
58 > Considering Ulrich is appearently still/again awol, could that be the
59 > reason? I have requested small fixes (like wrong email addresses in
60 > stuff i submitted) every now and than and got what i asked for.
61
62 He wasn't awol at the time of my writing my first few e-mails.
63
64 > > 3. Misinformation, misquotations and outright fabrications. Sure,
65 > > there's freedom of the press, but that shouldn't be used as an excuse
66 > > for deliberately making up quotes and printing intentional
67 > > misinformation.
68 >
69 > Huh? Can you back that statement up?
70
71 To take an example, there were made up quotes in my GWN interview,
72 however, nothing of great harm. I believe that time it was a case of
73 attempting to make it more fun, it is however a worrying trend.
74
75 > > From a PR perspective, Gentoo could benefit greatly by better
76 > > utilisation of the GWN. I believe that as it stands, however, the GWN is
77 > > discouraging people from contributing and damaging Gentoo's credibility.
78 >
79 > I have submitted a bunch of articles to the GWN, and it has always
80 > worked fine for me. Yes, Ulrich is awol at times and sometimes there
81 > are smaller corrections to make in the final article, but i never felt
82 > discouraged to submit my stuff. Worst case it takes a few extra days
83 > to get published.
84
85 Ok. I am very glad to hear that not everyone shares the same experiences
86 when it comes to contributing to the GWN.
87
88 > > Another thing that concerns me is the way the articles are written. It
89 > > is blatanly obvious that the GWN writers are not native English speakers
90 > > as both the grammar and the flow of the articles is far from attractive.
91 > > Having read through the archives, I notice that there was once a time
92 > > when the GWN was a great publication, and I would like to think that it
93 > > could become great yet again; in its current state, though, it is doing
94 > > more harm than good.
95 >
96 > I disagree. GWN could use some more manpower to improve this and that,
97 > but i don't see the harm - at least i could easily come up with lots
98 > of stuff happening that does more harm (Not pointing my finger at
99 > anyone and leaving it up to everyone's imagination to think of
100 > something that does damage Gentoo in a terrible way).
101
102 Yes, I agree they could use more manpower. They do however claim that
103 they find it difficult to find someone to help and that is my motivation
104 for bringing up the issues I notice. If the GWN themselves can't find a
105 solution to the problem then I believe that the rest of us can attempt
106 to help them find one.
107
108 > > Lack of content and poorly written or incorrect articles are often
109 > > justified by the GWN team on grounds of overwork and insufficient
110 > > manpower. When I asked why they were not recruiting, I was informed that
111 > > no-one has any interest in contributing. Upon speaking with others,
112 > > however, I find that this is not the case -- people are interested, but
113 > > fear (and rightly so) that their work will be edited in such a way that
114 > > it is no longer something with which they want to be associated.
115 >
116 > I'm sure a solution can be found to that problem - actually Ulrich is
117 > quite a nice guy to talk to, so if those people came out of hiding
118 > those problems may be solved by talking.
119
120 I wouldn't know, as I said he doesn't reply to my e-mails. OTOH, I have
121 no reason to believe that he is not a nice guy to talk to.
122
123 > > Another complaint is that the GWN rejects any writing style which has
124 > > any degree of character or levity. Any attempt at dececnt writing (the
125 > > kind that would make it into publication in English newspapers or
126 > > magazines, for example), is met with the claim that "the GWN is not a
127 > > humorous publication".
128 >
129 > http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/20060522-newsletter.xml#doc_chap3
130 > Look at the picture and tell me it's not at least a tiny bit
131 > humorous. Agreed, the joke is a bit obvious.
132
133 I can't quite see how your picture has anything to do with writing style
134 and character of writing.
135
136 > > I would like to see discussion about the way the GWN is
137 > > (mis)representing Gentoo, how we can better actualise its full potential
138 > > and what can be done to address the concerns listed above.
139 >
140 > I'm still not sure why the council should discuss the issue in the
141 > first place, i think everyone agrees that the GWN is a bit
142 > understaffed (for whatever reason) and some stuff doesn't work too
143 > well. So i assume helping out with the GWN and helping those who fear
144 > it for some reason may be the best way to solve these problems.
145
146 I am not entirely sure why the council wouldn't be a good place to start
147 a discussion about this. I believe that the council members will wish to
148 help the GWN help themselves sufficiently to solve their problems,
149 whether that be attempting to help them think of new ways to attract
150 contributors or make any other changes.