From: Vitaly Kushneriuk <vitaly_kushneriuk@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] qmail and .keep files
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 06:20:28
1 On Thu, 2001-12-13 at 13:39, Geert Bevin wrote:
2 >
3 > On Thu, 2001-12-13 at 12:33, Vitaly Kushneriuk wrote:
6 > > Hi!
7 > > Just wandering, what are those ".keep" files for?
8 > > Looks to me like a very ugly hack.
9 >
10 > The .keep files are necessary since otherwise when merging a new version
11 > and unmerging the old one, required empty dirs would be removed too.
12 > This is the way gentoo solves this problem standardly. Just look for
13 > .keep files all over your hd.
14 I know, and as I said, looks like a VERY ugly way of doing that.
15
16 Yet, no package should "own", in any way, the standard directories. They
17 can be created form post_install of, say, base_layout, and left there
18 forever. Then if a package provides /usr/bin/program, only program
19 should be included in CONTENTS, not the /usr/bin. The .keep files
20 can be used during build process, to indicate directories, that
21 do bolong to the package, but should not be installed (better to wrap
22 this by some "dokeepdir" func, to allow future change).
23 During unmerge, only "owned" directories can be removed,
24 and only if no other installed package uses them. A file with dir names
25 and usage counter can be used to track that.
29 > > Anyway, ebuild for qmail should not install them in the
30 > > queue directory, for qmail-qstat to work properly.
31 >
32 > Do you have real problems due to the .keep files?
33 Yes. run /var/qmail/bin/qmail-qstat. You'll get
34 about 20 unprocessed messages in the queue, while it's
35 actualy empty.
36 >
37 > > Also qmail rc file should be config-protected.
38 > > As there's no config-protection on per file basis (am I right?)
39 > > we should change it to:
40 > > ---------------------
41 > > #!/bin/sh
42 > > exec env - PATH="/var/qmail/bin:$PATH" \
43 > > qmail-start "`cat /var/qmail/control/defaultdelivery`"
44 > > ---------------------
45 > >
46 > > with control/defaultdelivery containing;
47 > > -------------
48 > > |dot-forward .forward
49 > > ./.maildir/
50 > > -------------
51 > > It will also fix the bug in current rc file: "dor-forward and
52 > > ./.maildir/ should be on SEPARATE lines.
53 >
54 > Good idea ! I'll add that
55 While you on it, consider attached qmail control script with many new
56 options.
57 Note: /init.d/svscan should be fixed not to use start-stop-daemon,
58 as it does not allow for more then one copy of svscan running.
59 It is better to run separate svscan in qmail/supervise dir then
60 linking qmail/supervise/* to /service, as this way you have better
61 control of when qmail will start.
64 > > Gentoo rules :-)
65 > > _______________________________________________
66 > > gentoo-dev mailing list
67 > > gentoo-dev@g.o
70 > --
71 > Geert Bevin
72 > the Leaf sprl/bvba
73 > "Use what you need" Pierre Theunisstraat 1/47
74 > http://www.theleaf.be 1030 Brussels
75 > gbevin@×××××××.be Tel & Fax +32 2 241 19 98
78 > gentoo-dev mailing list
79 > gentoo-dev@g.o