From: Geert Bevin <gbevin@×××××××.be>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] qmail and .keep files
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 06:54:51
1 On Thu, 2001-12-13 at 13:18, Vitaly Kushneriuk wrote:
2 > I know, and as I said, looks like a VERY ugly way of doing that.
3
4 I agree that it's not pretty.
5
6 > Yet, no package should "own", in any way, the standard directories. They
7 > can be created form post_install of, say, base_layout, and left there
8 > forever. Then if a package provides /usr/bin/program, only program
9 > should be included in CONTENTS, not the /usr/bin. The .keep files
10 > can be used during build process, to indicate directories, that
11 > do bolong to the package, but should not be installed (better to wrap
12 > this by some "dokeepdir" func, to allow future change).
13 > During unmerge, only "owned" directories can be removed,
14 > and only if no other installed package uses them. A file with dir names
15 > and usage counter can be used to track that.
16
17 I don't know if what you're proposing is a good alternative. I'll have
18 to think about this when I have the time. Anyway these kind of decisions
19 should be made by drobbins. Daniel, what are your thoughts on this
20 matter?
21
22 > > > Anyway, ebuild for qmail should not install them in the
23 > > > queue directory, for qmail-qstat to work properly.
24
25 The problem is that when I remove them now for the qmail-qstat to
26 function properly, an unmerge of a previously installed package might
27 remove important queue dirs which are need for qmail to function. When
28 having to chose between the two I tend to prefer having a properly
29 running qmail system in all cases than an incorrectly reported number by
30 qstat.
31
32 > While you on it, consider attached qmail control script with many new
33 > options.
34 > Note: /init.d/svscan should be fixed not to use start-stop-daemon,
35 > as it does not allow for more then one copy of svscan running.
36 > It is better to run separate svscan in qmail/supervise dir then
37 > linking qmail/supervise/* to /service, as this way you have better
38 > control of when qmail will start.
39
40 I'll have a look at it when I get the time.
43 Geert Bevin
44 the Leaf sprl/bvba
45 "Use what you need" Pierre Theunisstraat 1/47
46 http://www.theleaf.be 1030 Brussels
47 gbevin@×××××××.be Tel & Fax +32 2 241 19 98