From: "Damon M. Conway" <damon@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Portage Categories (was: kde-apps: searching for new homes)
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 09:07:51
1 >The packages that are part of the base kde distribution (i.e. kdemultimedia)
2 >will be moved to kde-base. All other packages will be moved to the
3 >appropriate categories.
4
5 Yay! Thank you Dan and Michael.
6
7 >In many cases there's ambiguity as to the reclassification of these packages,
8 >and far too many app-misc candidates. So, this is a list of the relocations
9 >I've decided on so far. I'd appreciate contribution of ideas. Tomorrow I'll
10 >look over the replies and make my decisions.
11
12 I'd like to recommend something like the sysutils category from the FreeBSD
13 ports system. Things like load meters, battery meters, password
14 generators, and other misc system utility kind of stuff. Some candidates
15 for this category would be:
16
17 kcpuload
18 knetload
19 xosview
20 lhinv
21
22 The purpose of this "sys-utils" category would be to store "Applications
23 related to the management, maintenance, or monitoring of the local system".
24 Software like cricket and mon do not fall into this category because their
25 scope extends beyond the local machine.
26
27 Also, I was thinking that an app-comms category is in order. Apps stored
28 in this bin would be:
29
30 kermit
31 minicom
32 lrzsz
33 hylafax
34 viewfax
35 seyon
36
37 Basically this bin would be for "Applications for communication across
38 analog or serial lines and their support programs".
39
40 throwing pennies,
41 Damon/kabau
44 "UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that
45 would also stop you from doing clever things." --Doug Gwyn