From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing order of default virtual/udev provider
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2016 17:00:28
1 On Tue, Feb 09, 2016 at 03:23:15PM +0100, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > >>>>> On Tue, 9 Feb 2016, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >
4 > > Well, if we're going to force it to be in the stage3, I guess this
5 > > boils down to whether eudev or udev is the better nano.
6 >
7 > "Nicht alles was hinkt ist ein Vergleich", as we say in German.
8 > Emacs has a flexible extension language, whereas nano uses a
9 > configuration file. Not sure in which direction this would map to
10 > OpenRC and systemd.
11 >
12 > > I think it makes far more sense to just remove some of the controversy
13 > > by taking it out of the system set first. Then I doubt anybody would
14 > > notice the switch.
15 >
16 > Take what out of the system set? virtual/udev isn't there, in the
17 > first place, and virtual/dev-manager is needed for a working system.
18
19 A boot loader is also needed for a working system, but we do not have
20 one in @system. Instead, we direct the user to choose one.
21
22 William