From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] SRC_URI component naming collision
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 16:52:50
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 11:02:57 +0100 Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4 > | On Sunday 26 February 2006 22:40, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 > | > The issue is whether you have the right to leave broken packages in
6 > | > the tree. I don't see any policy document granting you that right.
7 > |
8 > | The general consensus over the years has been that if something
9 > | cannot be fixed due to portage problems, then we do what necessary to
10 > | warn users about it, but keep the package. In this regard also look
11 > | at various dependency cycles, and/or use flag dependencies.
12 >
13 > The general consensus has been to implement the best available
14 > workaround, if one is doable, and just remove the thing where it's not.
15
16 Where is this general consensus documented (other than an email sent out
17 a few days ago). I'd have to go with Paul on this assumption. I don't
18 see the problem with keeping a package such as stu's in portage as long
19 as it doesn't affect other users. Do you honesty expect that we will get
20 a sterile tree out of this? Please focus your QA efforts are more
21 important and visible issues. Going on a witch hunt to fix one problem
22 compared to the bigger issues we know we have is simply silly. This is
23 really starting to look like a power issue rather than a QA issue.
26 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
27 Gentoo Infrastructure | Operations Manager
28
29 ---
30 GPG Public Key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
31 Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742
32
33 ramereth/irc.freenode.net