From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] SRC_URI component naming collision
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 16:37:24
1 On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 11:02:57 +0100 Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | On Sunday 26 February 2006 22:40, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 | > The issue is whether you have the right to leave broken packages in
5 | > the tree. I don't see any policy document granting you that right.
6 |
7 | The general consensus over the years has been that if something
8 | cannot be fixed due to portage problems, then we do what necessary to
9 | warn users about it, but keep the package. In this regard also look
10 | at various dependency cycles, and/or use flag dependencies.
11
12 The general consensus has been to implement the best available
13 workaround, if one is doable, and just remove the thing where it's not.
16 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Wearer of the shiny hat)
17 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
18 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm