From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Putting all log related packages into it's own category (sys-logging)
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 23:39:52
1 On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 20:30 +0100, Kevin F. Quinn (Gentoo) wrote:
2 > Personally I think unless there is a real problem that needs to be
3 > resolved, moving packages around should be avoided.
4
5 It's a shame we can't find a way to turn package categories into solely
6 a presentational feature, rather than being an integral part of the
7 package's identity as it is today. (And, at the same time, multi-depth
8 categories would also be nice :)
9
10 With the way things are today, "improvements" to the structure of the
11 package tree are held back by our historical legacy. As the tree grows,
12 it makes sense to move packages into new groups that weren't viable
13 before - and to clear out historical dumping grounds in the process.
14
15 If package categories were only something that users used to find things
16 - and weren't used by Portage as part of a package's unique identity -
17 then we could afford to be more flexible on this.
18
19 Best regards,
20 Stu
21 --
22 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
23 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
24 http://blog.stuartherbert.com/
25
26 GnuGP key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
27 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C