From: Brian Jackson <brian@××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] maybe it is time to put portage queries into a database.
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 23:57:33
1 On Tuesday 24 June 2003 05:58 pm, Henti Smith wrote:
2 > On 24 Jun 2003 16:04:58 -0700
3 >
4 > jesse <yoda@××××××.com> wrote:
5 > > > isn't db a system lib .. and installed on every machine ?
6 > > >
7 > > > can't you just use that ?
8 > >
9 > > My proposition was to use some connector lib that is compatable with all
10 > > those db formats. so you don't have to re-write a bunch of backend
11 > > drivers or DB specific queries. Im not a python programmer C/Perl are my
12 > > main forte, and you can use DBI to interface with many many db's as long
13 > > as you keep your queries db agnostic, and use the dbi methods. At least
14 > > with postgresql, mysql, and oracle to (some extent) this is the case.
15 >
16 > but since the db system is already part of the default system, why not just
17 > use that. It's really a system function .. and I knwo th "selectable"
18 > databse of choice is a nice to have but do we (gentoo) really want people
19 > to run different DB's for portage backend stuff .. and handle the bug
20 > tracking hell that will result because of it ?
21
22 I don't think that would scale well(sure a couple of boxes, but I'm probably
23 going to have over ten by the end of the year, and if it scales well enough,
24 that would be a boon for cluster environments where there can be thousands of
25 nodes). I like the idea of having many backends available. That way, people
26 could use whatever suited their environment. Aside from that the libs you are
27 talking about are c libs. If this project aims to be included as part of
28 portage at some point, it needs to be written in portage's native language. I
29 think python has some basic db lib interface built in, I don't know about
30 mysql/postgres/etc.
31
32 --Brian Jackson
35 OpenGFS -- http://opengfs.sourceforge.net