From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Modular X plans
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 12:45:51
1 On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 07:36:31AM -0500, Caleb Tennis wrote:
2 > On Monday 08 August 2005 08:14 pm, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
3 > > If you could bring up some specific examples, we could discuss them.
4 >
5 > Sure. Qt has optional support for xkb, tablet, fontconfig, xrender, xrandr,
6 > xcursor, xinerama (already a use flag), xshape, and xsm.
7 >
8 > I'd really hate to add 8 more use flags for those things. I find it fairly
9 > hard to believe that a user would want to, for example, configre xrender and
10 > xcursor but not xrandr.
11 >
12 > My *thought* here is why not let the Qt ebuild rely on the base packages of X,
13 > and if these other packages are also installed ahead of time, then configure
14 > support for them as well, but don't make them use flag deps.
15 >
16 > Something like:
17 >
18 > if xcursor is installed
19 > turn on xcursor support
20 > DEPEND+=xcursor
21 > fi
22 >
23 > I'm sure someone will cast me as a heretic, but I think this is much more
24 > elegant than 8 more use flags.
25 Yep, you're a heretic. :)
26 How would you propose that DEPEND information make it's way up the
27 portage stack, and ultimately affects the depgraph?
28
29 What you're suggesting is effectively "suggested" deps, which are a
30 bit backwards considering we have "optional" deps, the 8 flags you
31 dislike :)
32 ~harring